1. The league shall be known as North Somerset Tennis League.
2. The management of the League shall be vested in the Management Committee consisting of the Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and three elected members.
3. The Management Committee shall be convened by the secretary and will meet whenever necessary to ensure the smooth running of the League. Their decision, once made, is final.
4. Subscriptions shall be £8 per team in both Winter and Summer Leagues, payable in full at the A.G.M. of the League. Subscriptions not paid by 1st January may be trebled at the discretion of the Management Committee.
5. Each team shall consist of two pairs. Matches in the Summer League to consist of four rubbers, each pair to play both pairs of the opposing team. Winter League matches to comprise a Ladies Doubles, Mens Doubles and two Mixed Doubles.
6. Rubbers shall be the best of three sets. Standard L.T.A tie-
7. Scoring – 1 point per set – 2 points per match. If a match is level on rubbers, the winners to be the team with most sets. If level on sets, the team with most games. If still level, the match points to be split one to each team.
8. Where teams are level on points, final league positions including promotion and relegation to be decided by the number of matches won. If matches are level, then by rubbers, then sets, and if necessary by games differential. Teams to play off only if level in all aspects.
9. Summer League matches shall start at 6.30 p.m. prompt. Winter League start time
by arrangement. If a pair is not ready 30 minutes after a scheduled start, they shall
lose the first rubber, the score being 6-
10. Summer Men’s matches shall be played on Mondays, Summer Ladies matches shall be played on Tuesdays. Winter League matches by prior arrangement between clubs.
11. All matches to be postponed only because of bad weather conditions or because
the courts are unfit to play. Postponed Summer matches must be played within 14 days
of the original fixture at the convenience of the home club. The Home Side must offer
two dates and these dates are to be on different days of the week. A new date for
a postponed Winter League match should be fixed, although not necessarily played,
within 14 days of the original fixture and the League Secretary notified. Again,
the home side must offer two dates and these dates are to be on different days of
the week. If a club cannot field a side on an agreed date, the match shall be forfeited
12. In the event of abandoning a match, the match shall continue at the point of abandonment. The same pairs need not be used. No player may take part in more than two rubbers in any one match or play against the same opponent in more than one rubber. The abandoned match must be rearranged and played within 14 days, the home side to offer two dates. This applies to all subsequent postponements.
13. The Home Captain shall be the sole judge of the fitness of the courts. In the event of an appeal against bad weather or light when a match is in progress, the Home Captain is the sole judge.
14. The home team will stage the match and will provide eight new balls of the current year’s manufacture.
15. Summer and Winter League results to be sent by home clubs within 24 hours by First Class Mail.
16. Players who have represented their clubs three times in a higher team may not
subsequently play in a lower team that season. Any rubber involved with an ineligible
player shall be forfeited 6-
17. Clubs should ensure that higher prefix teams take priority over lower ones. If a club concedes, or fields an incomplete team, without just cause, when lower prefix teams play, the team conceding will be withdrawn from the league and all its results to that date will be deleted. However, any team that concedes two matches during the season, will be removed from the League.
18. A player may only represent one club in a season and must be a fully paid up
member for that season, not temporary or visitors. Any rubber involving an ineligible
player shall be forfeited 6-
19. At the end of each season the bottom two teams in each division shall be relegated and the top two teams promoted.
20. The Annual General Meeting shall be held in September and 21 clear days notice shall be given by the Secretary. At the meeting one member of each club in the league shall be allowed one vote.
21. The drawing up of the fixture list will be the responsibility of the League Secretary. Winter League fixtures to be fixed by the clubs on mutually agreed dates. The League Secretary must be notified of all Winter League fixtures by the date he or she sets at the AGM – usually approx. 2 weeks from the date of the AGM.
22. All clubs must confirm membership in writing 14 days prior to the AGM, confirming the number of teams they are entering. New teams wishing to apply for membership must also apply in writing 14 days prior to the AGM at which meeting a vote will be taken. Winter League contacts must be submitted to the Secretary in writing 14 days prior to the AGM.
Code of Conduct
All participants in all Leagues organised by North Somerset Tennis League Committee must act within the LTA Rules and Regulations
A) must use their best efforts to win each match in which they participate and must complete each match unless they are not reasonably able to do so;
B) must not use an audible obscenity and/or make an obscene gesture of any kind;
C) must not at any time verbally or physically abuse any official, opponent, spectator or any other person;
D) must not violently, dangerously or in anger, hit, kick or throw a tennis ball, racket or other equipment;
E) must at all times conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike mannerwith due regard to the LTA Rules, North Somerset Tennis League Rules, and to the rights of opponents, spectators and other persons.
A complaint against a player, member of a club, supporter and/or team, should be made to the North Somerset Tennis League Committee.